In 2013, I was visiting Boston and was walking through the library at Boston College, when I saw a plaque on the wall with some very intriguing letter shapes. The E, M, and W reminded me of certain Art Deco sensibilities, and more recently in history the typeface Serif Gothic by Herb Lubalin and Tony DeSpigna. Inspired by these letters, I designed a typeface called “Whittington”, a flared serif with geometric proportions.
When designing Whittington, I was mostly interested in the capital letterforms, and drew a very clunky lowercase alphabet to accompany it. Years later, after having attended the Type@Cooper program, I revisited Whittington, and was baffled by certain decisions I had made. From these initial drawings, and seeking to establish a sensible lowercase as well as exploring additional weights, the current iteration of this style Mausoleum was born.
- Designed by: Phaedra Charles
- Released: March 2022
- Version: 1.0
- Weights: Thin, Extra Light, Light, Regular, Medium, Semibold, Bold, Extra Bold, Black
- Category: Flared Serif, Display, Uncial, Art Deco
- Download the Mausoleum specimen to see the full character set and extended language support.
- Please read the License Agreement prior to purchase.
- Trial fonts are available here.